Membership Import: This import will assign an active membership to those individuals who should be listed as current Students in your database. This will change them from People status to Student status, which allows you to track their attendance, take payments from them, and chart their progress overtime. Please open our attached Membership Import Template and follow along with the steps below.
Here are some requirements for formatting your existing data:
- REQUIRED - Both the FirstName & LastName fields must match a profile that already exists in your database.
- REQUIRED - The membership types under the "Membership" column will need to already exist or be re-created in your Zen Planner database. The membership names in this field must *exactly* match the membership name in your database. If the capitalization, punctuation and spacing do not exactly match, the system will skip over that record without importing.
- REQUIRED The "BeginDate" field. When you look at this field, make sure that it reflects the begin date of their most recent membership. If it is the members first membership, please list the date of signup, if the member has renewed their membership, please list the date of their most recent renewal. I have listed how the different membership types should be formatted in your membership import below.
- For those that are on a Month-to-Month membership you will list the date of their most recent monthly renewal. For instance, if I've been on a month to month membership for the last year, and it renews and bills on the 1st of every month, then my "BeginDate" would be the 1st of the month we are currently in. Once we import this membership, it will create a bill for your student for this current month, don't worry, we will give you instructions to delete the bill or mark it as already PAID once the import is complete. This will allow your members to login and reserve for classes now, without having to wait until their next billing cycle to become CURRENT. If we set their begin date to be in the future, they would not be able to login or check-in for class until that date has been met.
-ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP (12-month contract)-
- For those that are on an annual membership that is 12 months in length, you would list the BeginDate as the date when they started this annual contract. For instance, if you have a member that started their annual membership on Oct-1-17 and ends on Oct-1-18, you would list 10/1/17 as the BeginDate for this person, the system will then be able to tell you how many months have already been used towards this membership contract, and how many still remain until it is set to expire or be renewed.
-OTHER MEMBERSHIPS TYPES (3-month, 6-month, 9-month, etc.) –
- This is going to be built out just as the annual memberships are applied. You would list the BeginDate as the date when they started this current membership term. For instance, if you have a member that started their 6-month membership on NOV-1-17 and ends on MAY-1-18, you would list 11/1/17 as the BeginDate for this person, the system will then be able to tell you how many months have already been used towards this membership term, and how many still remain until it is set to expire or be renewed.
****The system will not auto renew memberships that have been imported as already expired beyond a very short window. Always make the membership being imported currently active and do not rely on auto renew to make it current.****
- OPTIONAL The "BillDueDate" field. Only use this field if the first membership bill was billed on any other date than the day listed in the begin date column. For instance, if someone is on a 6-Month membership that has a begin date of NOV-1-17 but the person has requested to be billed on the 15th of the month, you would add the FirstBillDate as 11/15/17. Eventhough, this date is in the past it will match the bills accordingly going forward. Do not use the date of their next upcoming bill. This will cause the membership billing cycle to break.
- OPTIONAL The “Discount" field should only be used if the entire membership (every bill generated) should have the discount applied to it. If you need to add a one-time discount, this will be done after the import. Examples of when to use the discount field: couples discount; student discount; staff discount. Examples of when NOT to use the discount field: first month’s bill 50% off; one-time member referral discount. Discounts must be set up in your database prior to the import. Like the membership field, the spelling, spacing, capitalization and punctuation must match exactly. Building Discounts Out in Zen Planner
If you have any additional questions on this, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-541-3570.