PLEASE NOTE: Adding custom fields to the People tab is the best way to manage additional information that needs to live on a person's profile. You will see other options, but they are limited to specific functions within the system and you may not be able to access the data entered from reports, templates or automations when you need it. Please reach out to a customer advocate before adding a field to an area other than the People tab.
When creating people type custom fields please keep these limitations in mind:
- Maximum of 25 people type custom fields can be created
- Label can contain a maximum of 50 characters
HOW TO CREATE A CUSTOM FIELD
Go to Setup>Database Tools>Custom Fields and click on the link for People at the top of the page. Now, click on the +Add a Custom Field link.
From here you are going to give your new field a name, specify the data type, choose a location and specify whether it is important.
Name - Just like it sounds. The name of the field will also show up as the label next to the empty field on any registration forms you add it to.
Specify the Data Type - You can request &/or store this information in a specific format. Here are the different types:
- Text - This is the default. Best for very short messages, answers or names.
- Long Text - Use this option when you are creating a message box or expect a long form answer.
- Yes/No - Member or staff has to select yes or no from a drop down menu.
- Number - This field option requires a number to be entered. Anything else will be rejected.
- Date - This field option will present a popup calendar to choose a date from.
- Currency - This field option requires a number be entered. The field will automatically format it in your local currency type.
- Select From List - Lets you create a custom drop down menu. Enter each item on its' own line and the system will present them in that order in a drop down menu.
Choose a Location - The default is the Custom tab on the member's personal profile. You can add a new location if required.
Important? - You can check this box to have it show on the front page of a person's profile in Studio. When logged in, the person will be able to view & edit this field from Member Connect.